Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Welcome back my friends....

...to the show that never ends!
So glad you could attend
Come inside, come inside.

There behind the glass
Lays a real blade of grass
Be careful as you pass
Movin' on, movin' on.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer, some time last century


OK, so I am not as young as you are, but in my day it as all doom and gloom about the fate of The World. If it wasn't the Ruskies blowing us all to bits, it was over-population that was going to get us - see the movie Soylent Green for a great indication of how people thought the world was heading. Both of those have subsided (OK, Putin is getting a bit big for his boots, but compared to Soviet power in the 1970s he is a little kitten), giving way to international terrorism and Global Warming. Before The Cold War we had a real war (although I would also count Vietnam and Korea as real wars too), before that The Depression, and another big war...

Doesn't this sound a bit like life, huh? There is always something going on that you could do without - get rid of one problem and BAM! turn the corner and you walk slap into something else. Can't we just have a break, where nothing exciting is happening and we can just roll along in bliss?

My wife has a view on this - she thinks life like that would be dreadfully dull. Human nature being what it is we NEED something to fight against, at a personal and national level. It is what makes us human. Without this need we would still be sitting in caves going "Ug".

7 comments:

Logzie said...

Interesting concept...but...I still want a break...my life has been excessive!

I am with you on the concept concerning the world. There will always be something to jump on the bandwagon with...something that will surely take the world out this time...but never does. I think our Earth is a bit stronger than we give it credit for. Ah...it all makes life interesting and great history books though huh. :0)

Rock Chef said...

Logzie - I am with you there, I want a break too. When I win the lottery I am going to buy an island so I can go there when I want to escape - friends can borrow it when I am not there...

Kiki said...

I would be extremely bored if I didn't have the drama in my life...some days I could do without it but I crave the excitement of each new day as a possibility for new adventure...come what may...I can face it!!!
As for winning the lottery, that would be a good meme if it hasn't already been done: Ten Things I'd Do With the Money...fun thoughts.

Ali said...

Hmmm, haaa, hmmmm...

Marie said...

Your wife is right. Life is boring enough as it is. And yes, with human nature being what it is, we will always create problems for ourselves no matter what.

Terri said...

I agree with your wife. At times when things are too calm and uneventful, I find myself getting restless. Maybe we just don't know WHAT we want!

Rock Chef said...

Kiki - Adventure? It is a long time since I thought of life as an adventure!

Ali - Hmmm, mmmm, yup, hmmmm.

Marie - But some of us would LOVE life to be boring, just for a while. You are right, though, I think we do often look for a problem.

Terri - Good thought - maybe we DON'T know what we really want! Or, considering the imminent return of a certain group, maybe that should be "What we really, really want"?