Wednesday, July 18, 2007

You can choose your friends...

My eldest son and one of my nieces are in the same year at school, both being 13 now. And we live on opposite sides of the same road.

My son is amazingly clever (he will be sitting maths exams at 16 that he should be doing at 18) and is great at anything that requires brain work. However, despite our efforts he has no interest in being cool. He is a happy geek.

My niece is not daft, but is not in the same league as my son, but she is a dead-cool tomboy, who does BMX, skateboarding, guitars, etc. Image is everything.

In other words, they are chalk and cheese, you would find it hard to find 2 people more different. Recently they have taken to gently teasing each other - "geek", "thicky", "wear something cool", "wear a dress". Hopefully it is clear who says what!

Yesterday things moved to a now level. My son had to make Bhangra head dress for Dance class. (See photo for an idea of what the head dress looked like - neither of these are my son).



When he took it in, he had to talk about it in front of 2 classes - his own and my niece's. At the end of the talk he was asked to select another child to wear the head dress. Can you guess who he picked? Can you guess whose "cool" has now been destroyed? Can you guess who hates my son? Can you guess who thinks it is all amazingly funny?

4 comments:

Logzie said...

LOL!! HA! That's a great story! Your son sounds very fun...

Is one of those people in the picture your son?

James said...

Arthur had no beard when I met him......those guys are Punjabi Indians (probably English born though)

Bhangra is the regional dance music of the Punjab part of India...it is characterised by fast drunmming (Dhol) and catchy bingy-bongy beats. They only wear that get up for festivals.

That was a funny story John. Arthur should perhaps be worried what revenge your niece is planning to inflict.....

Rock Chef said...

Yes, the revenge could be nasty - we are waiting...

Terri said...

Your son is one smart kid! I love his tactics and the fact that he's willing to be who he is, not what others expect him to be. Good for him!